After getting the plants out of the pot I washed the soil from the roots to more easily see if there were any easier areas to split the plants. It also helped to identify where the weeds were so that I could separate them.
After some examination I decided that I’d need to not be too delicate and used a spade (above right) to separate the plants into two clumps.
After splitting, thick fleshy roots and swollen bulb like bases to each plant can be seen (below left).
The plants were then repotted into pots with tapered sides – this will make any future splitting easier (below right).
I used a mix of native potting mix, coarse sand & pearlite. (the original mix was coco peat & sand).